Image Map

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Because You Can't Just Have One

For as long as I can remember, I have loved tattoo's.  I think they are a great outlet for expression.  They tell stories about peoples lives or reminders to keep going.  They're inspiring.  They're beautiful. They're conversation starters. They're art.  

At 20 I got inked for the first time.  The best part was getting to do it with my best friend and pledge sister, Tori.  Who needs best friend bracelets when you can get matching tattoos?  Tori and I met freshman year and instantly clicked.  We pledged a sorority together and the symbol of our sorority is an anchor.  At the end of my sophomore year I decided to transfer to another college in New York.  So we chose the anchor as a symbol to be forever connected.  But my tattoo actually has duel meanings.  My father is a Tugboat Captain, so was my grandfather and my uncle.  My dad and three brothers all have anchor tattoos.  So it also represents family.  It's a very special tattoo to me and I'm in love with it.  

Tattoos are no joke though.  They hurt.  I don't know if you can tell by the picture. I also could look like I'm having trouble on the toilet.  Haha but no worries, it's just me getting a tattoo. 



At 22 I got inked for the second time.  I fell in love with the quote "Without struggle there is no progress."  Things have never come easy for me.  I've encountered many bumps in the road but it's part of who I am today and has made me a stronger person.  

I didn't have as much success with this tattoo and I was not pleased with the outcome. It straight up looks like crap.  It's so hard to read and it's not in the writing I wanted at all.   Here's my advice, research your tattoo artist and be super picky.  This is on you for life.  Once I get some money saved up, I'm going to meet with a new tattoo artist to see what they can do to fix it.  Cross your fingers that there's hope!

 
Below are the tattoos that I am crazy about. 


1 - Dream catchers are a symbol of unity and for children is used to catch the bad dreams and thoughts.  Growing up I always had a dream catcher hanging by my bed.  It reminds me of my childhood.  To me I also relate it to keeping happy thoughts and not focusing on the negative.  

2 - The Elephant represent a lot for me.  For one thing, my blog is Chasing Elephants. It means to follow my dreams, not give up and to remember what it is that I love.  It means strength, peace and family.  Elephants with their trunk up is good luck.  

3,4, 5 & 6 - I could sit outside for hours just looking at nature like things and have a big old dorky smile on my face.  Just ask my IRL best friend Erin.  My degree is in Outdoor Recreation and so obviously I like outdoor things.  I love hiking, backpacking, canoeing, skiing and just being outside in general.  Lately I haven't been enjoying the outdoors like I should/want to.  I can't forget to keep enjoying the things that I love.


7 & 8 - If you can't tell, I love to travel and it's the thing in life that makes me feel so alive and gives me that rush.  It reminds me how much beauty there is on this earth.  It's what I am most passionate about, besides family of course.  I think it somewhat defines me even.  Compasses also means protection and guidance.  


9 - "An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward, so when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it is going to launch you into something great.  So just focus, and keep aiming."  I found this on Pinterest somewhere and it just sums up the arrow so perfectly.  

What I love about tattoos is the meaning behind them.  Every tattoo is a story. And every one has a story to tell.  Each of these tattoos would remind me to keep going, enjoy life and to stay true to myself.  Not to mention I think they are sexy.  As you can see it is going to be hard to pick my next tattoo.  What are your favorites?


7 comments:

  1. i just love, love, love tattoos and you're so right about not being able to have just one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my first tattoo for my 18th birthday present from my parents. My dad has a TON of tattoos, so they have no problem with ink. It is special to me because they went with me when I got it, and my dad drew it. It is a butterfly that is on my right shoulder blade. It has a heart on each wing, one for my grandfather and one for my grandmother whom I was very close with and passed away. It is also pink, purple, and blue...my favorite colors all of my life.

    I really want to get another one. I think one on my inner wrist would be super fun! I used to want starts on one of my feet but I just could never bring myself to do it. I was always afraid my shoes would tear it up.

    I love the elephant and arrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so right, tattoos are so addicting. I have 2 and am itching to get my next one!! xxo
    Jamie
    www.candystilettos.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looove your anchor! So pretty. I'm also super picky about tattoos. I'm always itching for another one though. I love the pine cone idea. I'm such a nature fan too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want another tattoo so bad!!!!! You just gave me the itch again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely want a dream catcher and arrow tattoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been waiting to get my third tattoo for 11 years, because I am soooo picky. I love my first one, but it's something so unique that no one else has it, which is exactly what I would want for my 3rd.

    That elephant is amazing but would hurt like hell!

    ReplyDelete